How many times during your morning routine do you snooze your alarm? Before you have even opened your eyes, have you exclaimed ‘ugh’? Have you put off getting out of bed for as long as possible before it is now a mad rush to get out the door? Well you are not alone but is this really the best way to start your day?
By simply starting off your day with positivity will help you be more productive, feel organised and ready to take on the day. You don’t have to be a morning person in order to achieve a good morning routine but it might even make you more of a morning person! Leading evidence shows that a productive morning routine sets you up for success.
Starting your morning just right has many important benefits and some of them include:
- Reduces stress
- Gain time
- Less forgetful
- Better productivity
So stop hitting that snooze button which will have negative effects on your health because you are not allowing yourself to complete a sleep cycle which confuses your body and brain leaving you groggy before you’ve even got out of bed and make some simple changes to your morning routine with some of these suggestions:
- Make your bed: Surveys have shown that by doing this simple 30 second move when you get up in the morning makes you happier and more productive
- 5 -15 min exercise/stretching: Regular exercise improves your memory and concentration meaning you will be mentally sharp throughout your day
- Cold shower: Higher level of alertness, increased willpower and reduced stress levels
- Meditate: An instant stress buster while increasing your oxygen levels and improving circulation
- Read a book: Mental stimulation, vocabulary expansion, memory improvement, enhances your imagination and lowers stress levels.
- Gratitude journaling: Increases positivity, self-esteem, happiness levels and reduces stress
- No social media/technology: Reduces stress and anxiety, increased happiness, better social connections and mindfulness
- Affirmations: Increased motivation, concentration and positivity
- Goal and check list: Significantly increases your chances of achieving those goals/targets
So right now, take 5 minutes and write down your current morning routine. Be honest! How many times does your alarm have to go off before you get out of bed? Do you make time for breakfast? Do you have time to get dressed and carefully choosing what you’ll wear for the day?
Now, add to your current routine by making small adjustments. Could you get up straight away instead of hitting the snooze button? Could you spend 2 minutes on your mindfulness, affirmations or meditation? Could you take 1 minute to make your bed? Each week review your morning routine and make small achievable adjustments so that you will continue to live a healthier, happier and more productive life.